A health care practitioner is one having the authority or license to provide curative or preventive health care services to individuals or communities in an organized and systematic way in the field of medicine, pharmacy, nursing, pediatrics, clinical psychology or other associated sectors. The state authorities strictly monitor the quality of service provided by health care general practitioners based on fixed rules and regulations. The state has the right to judge the actions of health care providers. It may also seize their license if they are found to violate any of the rules. For this, it is the responsibility of the state to provide the Board of Medical Examiners the name and the action details of the concerned health care provider for the implementation of necessary actions.
Various Types of Healthcare Providers Available:
First, here we are discussing the primary care providers. The person you make your first visit to for a general health check-up is defined as your primary care provider. You can decide on the best general practitioner for you based on your health problems and the health care plan you have. Some of the possible options can be:
- In most cases, a general physician can be the best primary care provider, who can look into your health problems and refer you to the most appropriate specialist. A general physician refers to a doctor of medicine or osteopathy with a specialization in internal medicine and family practice.
- You can also choose an Obstetrician and Gynecologist who has a specialization in women’s health and prenatal care as your primary care provider.
- For routine check-ups and general health issues, you can appoint nurse practitioners with graduate degrees as your primary care provider. They are authorized to provide primary care in the field of pediatrics, family medicine, women’s health, adult care, etc.
The Nursing Sector can be Divided into Various Categories:
- Licensed practical nurse refers to trained nurses having the license to provide health protection services to individuals, families or communities.
- Registered nurses are required to get through a state board examination and attain a graduate degree from a nursing program to get the license for providing health protection services.
- Advanced practise registered nurses are superior to general nurses owing to their advanced training and specialized degrees. These practitioners are certified registered nurse anesthetists, nurse practitioners, clinical nurse specialists, and licensed nurse-midwives.
- Other than nurses, another general practitioner like mental health practitioners refer to a health protection provider who is known to offer preventive or curative services to treat psychiatric conditions in individuals.